Put down that grocery store dressing. It’s loaded with stuff you and I can’t even pronounce! Instead, get a good old fashioned mason jar, measure out these simple pantry ingredients, and ask your child to help you make this sweet and tangy salad dressing to show your butter lettuce some love tonight! You’ll feel great serving this dressing to your family any night of the week.
- ¼ cup vinegar (champagne vinegar, white vinegar or apple cider work great)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard (this will help bind the dressing)
- ⅛ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- Measure all ingredients into a mason jar with a lid.
- With the lid on, shake the jar vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Take a piece of lettuce and dip it into your dressing to check the flavor. This is the best way to know if you’ll love it on your salad.
- Make sure your lettuce has been washed and dried well, either with a towel or a salad spinner. It’s important to dry it so the salad dressing will stick to the lettuce, not run off.
- Wait until just before you are ready to eat and place a few spoon fulls of the dressing down the sides of the bowl. You can always add more but it’s hard to take away dressing after you’ve put too much on!
- Gently toss the salad with two spoons, or your hands. The trick is to be gentle so the salad doesn’t wilt too much and get soggy. We like to add one last little sprinkle of salt to our salad just before eating!
Read more about Hollie