This soup is a winner no matter the veggie you are trying with your family. We make trying it fun, too, with topping options we dug out of our pantry–toasted pine nuts, popcorn, crackers, and roasted corn.
Crack out some fancy coffee cups or a nice cordial glass and let your kids go to town decorating those beautiful green soups and see who can drink theirs up first before their favorite topping sinks to the bottom!
See our technique timeout for a quick tutorial on how to chop leeks:
Just two easy breezy steps:
- 2 leeks (or 1 whole white onion, diced as substitute)
- 1 bag or bunch of spinach/approximately 3 cups (washed)
- 2 cups of broth (your choice: vegetable, chicken or water)
- 2 small yellow potatoes (not baking)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Optional toppings from your pantry: a piece of toast you let your kids cut fun shapes out of and put on top of the soup; crumbled crackers for crunch, or some lightly toasted nuts on top.
- Wash leeks (see technique time-out, above, for how to do this)
- Rough chop leeks and potatoes (that means it doesn’t really matter if they are not perfect!)
- With 1 tablespoon of butter, add potatoes and leeks to a deep pot and saute on medium-low heat for 5 minutes with a top on the pot.
- Add spinach and broth.
- Bring up to a boil. Once boiling, turn back down to a low simmer and cover.
- After 10 minutes, turn off heat.
- Allow ingredients to cool to where you can touch the broth with your finger safely.
- Place the soup ingredients plus 1 - 2 teaspoons salt, pinch of pepper, and a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar in a blender and blend until you have a smooth puree.
- Ask the kids to help you choose the fancy cups their soup will be served in--a mix of cups is always fun!
- Now have each child or family member decorate their own soup. Anything from your pantry your kids like works - could be crackers or nuts or breadcrumbs. We even like to put small dabs of butter in the soup in a smiling face decoration and try to eat them up before they melt!
Read more about Hollie